I always eating remember eating fritters a lot with my sister as we were growing up, especially corn fritters. For mum, they were easy and cheap to whip up with anything left over in the cupboard and my sister would devour them with tomato sauce.
Fast forward a few years and I still love a good fritter. They are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They can be eaten by themselves with some sauce or stacked up with all of your favourite toppings.
This low carb fritter recipe is super easy and uses ingredients that you will find in most health foodies kitchens. The trick is after you have grated your zucchini is to sprinkle a tsp of salt and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The salt helps to draw as much moister as possible from the zucchini. You can then squeeze the excess moisture our of the zucchini and you will get the perfect fritter.
P.S. don’t worry about getting every last drop of water out, the coconut flour also absorbs a lot of water content.
Low Carb Zucchini Fritter (Makes four palm size fritters)
2 medium sized zucchinis grated
4 tbsp of coconut flour
Black pepper, herbs and spices to taste.
- In a medium bowl salt the zucchini and drain the water content.
- Once your happy with how much water you have drained, combine all of the above ingredients until your get a medium damp wetness that can easily be moulded in your hands.
- In a large frying pan on a medium heat, add 3 tbsp of coconut oil, ghee or butter. Enough to cover your frying pan. I was able to fit all four easily in my frying pan but if cooking in batch make sure to grease your frying pan in-between.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side until golden brown and then flip over. Cook other side until golden brown.
- Top with your favourite toppings; at the moment I am loving avocado, sauerkraut and poached eggs.
Send us your pictures of your favourite toppings on your zucchini fritters at email@example.com